Here is the cause and solution:
I use Eclipse/Lomboz as an IDE.  The EJBWizard (in the case of CMP beans) takes
VARCHAR as the SQL type, not VARCHAR(xy).  It complains for VARCHAR(xy).  The
XDoclet tag generated then only specifies VARCHAR as the SQL type.  In the
generated JBossCMPJDBC.xml only VARCHAR appears as the SQL type in the 3.1
version of Eclipse.  In 2.1 there was not even a <sql-type> tag, unluess I
wanted it to be TEXT.

MySQL demands VARCHAR(xy).  I've tried it on the command line with SQL.

After adding the (xy) to every appearance of VARCHAR as the SQL type (not the
JDBC type - that is left as it is) the tables were created with no problems.

So, obviously JBoss-3.2.0 filled in (255) where no value was supplied for (xy)
and JBoss-4.0.0 does not, which makes MySQL unhappy.

I wonder how many additional problems there are going to be - what about
relationships, for starters.  Is it worth the bother?  Should I not stick with
JBoss-3.2.0 and Eclipse/Lomboz 2.1?  At least they worked.

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3858633#3858633

Reply to the post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3858633