Hello,

Where can I find detailed description of the subj? For instance what the
difference is between using <auth-constraint> in <security-constraint> or
omitting it?

Also in web-app_2_3.dtd:

anonymous wrote : The auth-constraint element indicates the user roles that
should
  | be permitted access to this resource collection. The role-name
  | used here must either correspond to the role-name of one of the
  | security-role elements defined for this web application, or be
  | the specially reserved role-name "*" that is a compact syntax for
  | indicating all roles in the web application. If both "*" and
  | rolenames appear, the container interprets this as all roles.
  | If no roles are defined, no user is allowed access to the portion of
  | the web application described by the containing security-constraint.
  | The container matches role names case sensitively when determining
  | access.

I have following configuration (here users will be redirected to login page if
it's configured):

<security-constraint>
  |   <web-resource-collection>
  |     <web-resource-name>secure</web-resource-name>
  |     <url-pattern>/secure/*</url-pattern>
  |   </web-resource-collection>
  |   <user-data-constraint>
  |     <transport-guarantee>CONFIDENTIAL</transport-guarantee>
  |   </user-data-constraint>
  |   <auth-constraint>
  |   </auth-constraint>
  | </security-constraint>

And in this configuration I get 403 error (even if login is configured). The
only difference is that <auth-constraint> is omitted.

<security-constraint>
  |   <web-resource-collection>
  |     <web-resource-name>secure</web-resource-name>
  |     <url-pattern>/secure/*</url-pattern>
  |   </web-resource-collection>
  |   <user-data-constraint>
  |     <transport-guarantee>CONFIDENTIAL</transport-guarantee>
  |   </user-data-constraint>
  | </security-constraint>

I am not a native speaker and I can have problems understanding quoted text.
But as I understand if I specify empty <auth-constraint> no users could ever
see the portion of the site described by <security-constraint>. But instead
users are redirected to the login page.

And if I omit <auth-constraint> I always get 403 error (with or without login
configuration).

With regards,
Pavel Krupets

View the original post :