Thank you for that clarification Scott, I shall continue wrestling with this.
I had indicated in a previous post that I wanted to explore whether this was
new behaviour in 4.0.1 compared to 4.0.0. To that end, I did the following.
Note that the server configuration used in 4.0.1 was a copy of the "default"
configuration, with the jboss-ws4ee.sar package removed. This was done because
we are using jbuilder 2005, and there is a different issue related to some
profound weirdness around axis, meaning that (a) we have to ship the axis
libraries jbuilder is using, (b) any other axis libraries are verboten. Apart
from that, the 4.0.1 server definition we are using is a vanilla definition,
straight out of the box. Oops, I tell a lie. The 4.0.1 server definition has
had the UseJBossWebLoader set to FALSE in the tomcat jboss-service.xml.

1. shipped EAR to 4.0.1, worked ok. This had no specification of a classloader
in it's jboss-app.xml;
2. shipped to 4.0.0, horrible axis failures on invocation of a method;
3. stopped 4.0.0, slapped forehead, removed jboss-ws4ee.sar, restarted, axis
problem went away, product worked ok;
4. set UseJBossWebLoader to TRUE in 4.0.1, shipped same EAR, horrible failures
on deploy;

I then explored the differences between the 4.0.0 config and 4.0.1 config, and
found the following for the "default" server def:

- 4.0.1 has deployables not present for 4.0.0: scheduler-service.xml,
schedule-manager-servers.xml, properties-service.xml, jboss-hibernate.deployer,
jboss-aop.deployer, htti-invoker.sar, mail-ra.rar,
cache-invalidation-service.xml

- 4.0.0 has deployables not present for 4.0.1: ebxmlrr-service.sar,
hibernate-deployer-service.xml, iiop-service.xml, jboss-jdbc-metadata.sar
(note that the 4.0.0 "standard" deploy is different to the 4.0.1 "default" as
well)

Config differences for tomcat jboss-service.xml:

4.0.0 "default" has UseJBossWebLoader set to FALSE
4.0.0 "standard" has UseJBossWebLoader set toTRUE
4.0.1 "default" has UseJBossWebLoader set to TRUE

Config diffrences for ear-deployer.xml:
4.0.0 "default" has Isolated and CallByValue set to TRUE
4.0.0 "standard" has Isolated and CallByValue set to FALSE
4.0.1 "default" has Isolated and CallByValue set to FALSE

Now, this makes it appear as though the 4.0.0 "standard" is equivalent to the
4.0.1 "default". This was no great suprise, as that's what the 4.0.1 release
notes say. It does mean though that folk who are not experiencing these
problems with 4.0.0 who are using the "default" server (which is probably
almost all of them) are getting isolation at the WAR level because  deployed
WAR are just using the tomcat class loader.

The next, obvious thing for me to try was to make a copy of the 4.0.0
"standard" server, remove jboss-ws4ee.sar, and deploy the same EAR. Which I
did, and to nobody's suprise it had the same horrible deploy problems as for
our copy of the  4.0.1 "default" server.

This was kind of re-assuring, as it means that I don't have to start doing
diffs on the code to see if some breakage occurred between 4.0.0 and 4.0.1 (I
have my own mountains of code to maintain, and get going urgently, thank you,
without taking on any other mountains of code for the time being)

Where to from here? Well, based on Scott's response, this means that I will
setup a configuration with the tomcat UseJBossWebLoader set to "true", and put
the following in my EAR:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
"http://www.jboss.org/j2ee/dtd/jboss-app_4_0.dtd";>
  | <jboss-app>
  |     <loader-repository>
  |       au.com.hpa.banking:loader=RemittanceProcessingApp.ear
  |       <loader-repository-config>
  |         java2ParentDelegation=false
  |       </loader-repository-config>
  |     </loader-repository>
  | </jboss-app>

and leave Isolated and CallByValue in ear-deployer.xml set to FALSE. Stay tuned
for more exciting instalments.

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3862057#3862057

Reply to the post :