Thankyou. As soon as I stop using default values, all is well!
So this presumably means that if I want all the effective annotations, I have
to walk the superclasses to get inherited annotations, and access the
annotation declaration to get the defaults.

Perhaps the API could include some utility methods that would do this for one.
There would seem to be two dimensions of generality: inherited annotations from
superclasses, and 'inherited' data values from default values.

Perhaps something like:
anonymous wrote :
  |  getDeclaredAnnotations // just the actual annotations with actual data
  |                                     // no inherited ones, no default values
  |
  | getEffectiveAnnotations // fills in defaults, but no inherited ones
  |
  | getAllAnnotations // includes inherited annotations, no default values
  |
  | getAllEffectiveAnnotations // includes inherited annotations ,
  |                                     and fills in default values

What do you think?

Benedict

View the original post :