It completely depends upon:
 * The resources you have available (hardware, management of infrastructure)
 * The distribution of work (a huge website with tiny J2EE involvement, huge
J2EE operation with a tiny management website)

If you were to looking at how to best handle the available work completely
within software within a single host with the option of scaling up later the
breakdown is:

1) HTTP Accelerator / content cache (www.squid-cache.org in http_accel mode)
2) HTTPD Apache (general purpose webserver doing SSL)
3) Tomcat (connected to apache with mod_jk)
4) JBoss

I've never used SSL from Tomcat, I believe the SSL cipher routines are not in
native machine code and OpenSSL+mod_ssl goes to great lengths in providing
performance in this area.  If my beliefs are correct I wouldn't entertain the
idea of the JVM being taxed with the trivial work of volume encryption.

However if your website was serving 95% static content, 4% dynamic amd 1% SSL
and during the peak of your day the machine wasn't really heavily loaded then
maybe Tomcat/SSL would work for you.

With the mod_jk connector (ApacheHTTPD<>Tomcat) that all of the SSL attributes
that are available to your servlet (when Tomcat does SSL itself) are retained
across the connector (even when the Apache/HTTPD is on a different machiine).
So from a scalabiliy point of view if you have a lot of SSL processing you can
comission a fleet of ApacheHTTPD+mod_ssl+mod_jk machines at the frontend of a
single JBoss/Tomcat system to offload the SSL processing.

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3875151#3875151

Reply to the post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3875151