I had a similar error when i tried to deploy a simple JSP for JBoss in a Tomcat
manner, means to extend the server.xml by a context-tag. The JSP has been
transformed to a servlet but this servlet i've been not able to get it compiled
automatically by JBoss, but only by hand with an appropriate classpath
extension like ...jboss-4.0.1RC2\server\default\lib\javax.servlet.jar ...

The point was that JBoss works obviously different than Tomcat although
JBoss integrates Tomcat. No server.xml adaption is necessary but only a DOS box
with

jar cf HelloWorld.war WEB-INF jsp //... and some more directories you need ...

copy HelloWorld.war ...\jboss-4.0.1RC2\server\default\deploy

When JBoss is already started you can see some seconds later the deployment
print out in the JBoss-start-window.

My system variables are simply like this:

JAVA_HOME=C:\j2sdk1.4.2_06
CLASSPATH=C:\j2sdk1.4.2_06
JBOSS_HOME=C:\J2EE\jboss-4.0.1RC2

HTH