I want to block all access to files with a specific extension. I tried using a
security constraint with a non-existent role but that did not prevent acess to
files with the extension "vax".

It is impractical to move these files to a WEB-INF folder so they are out in
the open for the time being.  Do I need to create this role? Do users have to
be mapped to the role and if so where is that done. The MemoryRealm with
tomcat-users.xml did not work.

  |  <security-constraint>
  |          <web-resource-collection>
  |                  <web-resource-name>mask</web-resource-name>
  |                  <url-pattern>*.vax</url-pattern>
  |                  <auth-constraint>
  |                          <role-name>void</role-name>
  |                  </auth-constraint>