mka, I cannot even begin to thank you for what is probably the first (or at
least most) straight answer I've had in these two pages of thread.

Do you have an idea of what point the remote calls fail, and must be done
against a local JBoss (talking to the remote JBoss)? Is it that a remote JBoss
just isn't able to provide web service artifacts to an app client running
locally from a remote JNDI call? And that it can only provide these artifacts
locally?

You are very clear when you say:
"mka" wrote : Hi Craig,
  | A stand-alone client cannot execute the code posted there without having
JBOSS running locally (i.e. on the same machine).

And my thinking was thrown out when I mentioned previously:
"craigpugsley" wrote :  [coming] across an interesting thread:

  | http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=70738
  |
  | ...where:
  |
  | "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote :
  |   | Currently the J2EE application client jar has to be deployed on the
same system as the standalone client app. This means in the current release,
you need to have a minijboss running on the client system. We are going to add
support for remote client access in 4.0.4.
  |   |
  |   | http://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBWS-438
  |   |

  | Does this mean I'm banging my head against a brick wall here, as support
for client/server separation of J2EE Application Clients in JBoss isn't going
to be properly supported (i.e. with remote clients) until 4.0.4?

...which I think sounds pretty unequivocal. I'm clearly asking there whether
talking to a remote JBoss without a local JBoss is possible.

To which the reply was:
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote :
  | No, it just means that you should use the same jboss version for the
container that you deploy your application-client and your client code.

  | e.g. you cannot deploy your application-client to 4.0.3 if the apllication
that does the jndi lookup runs on 4.0.2 jars

..and I assumed at the time this meant that all I needed to do was make sure I
had library version parity on both the local client and remote JBoss.

Reading this last quote from Jason Greene back now, however ("you should use
the same jboss version for the container that you deploy your
application-client"), it looks like he's talking about the local JBoss I need
to have running ("the container").

This is all very confusing for someone who is relatively new to J2EE
development, and the fact that no one seems to want to say "yes, you actually
need a local JBoss running to talk to your remote JBoss" in any of the wikis,
or even explicitly on this thread, just adds to this confusion.

So, can I ask where you are at with this now? Are you sorting your libraries
into a sanitised JAR, then biting the bullet and deploying a local JBoss? We,
too, deploy via JWS and this has been a very successful course when using
WebSphere (the commercial app server we're porting to - see my previous
comments to see why I'm even here), as WebSphere actually deploys an
application client application container to the local client via JWS from the
remote WebSphere first, then your application client is deployed in the normal
JWS manner. I would assume this app client app container is equivalent to the
'minijboss' Jason Green talks about, and against which the JNDI calls are made.

Once again, thanks very much for taking the time to recount your experiences.
Your elucidation is much appreciated, and I'm sure this will help many
countless others.

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3902938#3902938

Reply to the post :