you are using portal 2.2, right ?

there is a new descriptor that replaces the old 2.0 style ones.
*-object.xml combines the -pages, -portal , and -instance descriptors.

If you are on 2.0 , then you're right: you need to restart to get the changes
to be recognized. A touch of the web.xml of the containing war should do the
trick as well, since it's a deployer that picks up the descriptors, but I
haven't tested that myself to be honest.

Subpages:
again, you dre correct for 2.0, however 2.2 does have subpages.  If you look at
the OTB portal, the elements in the tabbed navigation are the top level pages
of the default portal, if you pick any of those pages, the menu portlet in the
left region shows the subpages of that selected top level page. I think this
comes close to what you are describing here ....

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3913139#3913139

Reply to the post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3913139