I work for an organization which is geographically spread. Some locations are
large, others are much smaller, but they do the same kind of work.
Historically the locations had a high level of autonomy. IT is one of those
areas where differences occur.
Recently a reorganization of IT has taken place. The technical side was
centralized and local IT departments (where I work) had to handle the
'functional' side. As one of the larger locations, my colleages and I tried to
standardise and automate our internal processes. We hope that other locations
will follow our initiative and (re)use the automated tasks, which are or will
be written as Java classes.
Although a majority of the individual tasks tend to be 'universal', the
details, aggregation and sequence of these tasks in processes will differ in
the locations. For instance, some locations will use task a and b, but not c,
or maybe c is started before b.
Looking at jBPM, I see an opportunity for realizing this scenario. A business
analyst can describe a local process, and then a designer/programmer can
decorate that process with automated functionality. Eventually a repository of
processes will be created and gradually differences can be eliminated and
improvements can be added. A positive side effect is that business requirements
are not locked up in a monolitic application and that change is relatively ease
to implement.
What worries me somewhat is that I haven't read about such a use of a BPM
product, where application flow is substituted by processes. Is this a valid
use case in jBPM, or am I to ambitious? As I have to defend this solution to my
management, could you give me your experiences or reasons, why this is not the
way to use jBPM. Thanks in advance!

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3913171#3913171

Reply to the post :