I recently completed transitioning an RMI standalone application (which
operated via naming lookup on rmiregistry) to EJBs running under JBoss 4.0.3.
The application makes JDBC calls to a database in order to get user/login
information.

The problem is that, at seemingly random intervals, requests from the JDBC
connection class running on JBoss to the database suddenly start to hang
forever, and, in nearly every case, no Java exception is produced in server.log
or on the terminal output.  The EJBs continue to accept JDNI requests from the
associated web application as normal (as evidenced by debug statements), but
once the behavior starts, database calls fail to return, producing no error
output at all (as far as I can tell), until the JBoss server is restarted and
the EJBs reloaded.

I believe I have isolated the stall to the following log4j call (as it is the
first in the sequence of logger calls in the database-access sequence not to
produce log output):

  | log.debug("About to get a connection (active count=" +
  | ((oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleConnectionCacheImpl)dataSource).getActiveSize() +
",curr-cache=" +

((oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleConnectionCacheImpl)dataSource).getCacheSize()+")");

The reason that I think this to be a JBoss-related problem is that restarting
the JBoss server does correct the problem temporarily, and that the older
RMI-registry implementation never had such an issue, despite using exactly the
same JDBC code.  It has been maddening trying to resolve the problem, as it is
essentially impossible to reproduce it on command.  Increased usage does seem
to be some sort of factor, as the problem occurs more frequently during periods
of heavy load (every few hours, as opposed to every few days), but I have yet
to successfully induce the malfunction by artificially loading the application
with requests.  Trying to solve this via trial-and-error would therefore be an
extremely slow process.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with getActiveSize() or getCacheSize()
calls blocking indefinitely, or with database calls eminating from
JBoss-deployed EJBs randomly starting to stall out?

Thanks,

Branden Smith

http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3913845#3913845

Reply to the post :