I've done some reading, and I think it's working properly...

http://docs.jboss.org/ejb3/app-server/HibernateEntityManager/reference/en/html_single/index.html

Section 4.2.3. Exception handling

anonymous wrote : If the EntityManager throws an exception (including any
SQLException), you should immediately rollback the database transaction, call
EntityManager.close() (if createEntityManager() has been called) and discard
the EntityManager instance. Certain methods of EntityManager will not leave the
persistence context in a consistent state. No exception thrown by an entity
manager can be treated as recoverable. Ensure that the EntityManager will be
closed by calling close() in a finally block. Note that a container managed
entity manager will do that for you. You just have to let the RuntimeException
propagate up to the container.

So it would seem that catching the exception in the calling code is the only
way to go.  Following this approach, then the link that Jono provided gives all
the information you need, namely 1) calling em.flush and 2) creating and
annotating a checked excpetion (with @ApplicationException)
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=71611

Cheers,

Jason