Your right to do ssuch an enhancement for JDE paul,
the default directory to place the project is often a problem when creating
relatively big projects...
I don't if many other users would agree but i think it would be a nice idea
to place the project in the first package-directory :
 let 's suppose you've got a fs like :
  projects
    -project1
       project1.ui
        project.engine
    -project2
       project2.ui
       project. engine
The default directory for project1 prj.el file shall be project1
and default one for project2 prj.el file shall be project2

If we place both of them in projects there will be a conflict for the two
prj.el files..

Steff