> Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Daniel Hegyi wrote:
>
> > Is the purpose of Emacs and JDE mostly to give a nice environment for those
> > users who don't have much space, speed, and don't have admin rights on their
> > machine?

VAJ has some nice points like the incremental compile, and debugging is easy, but I
found the repository too weird. Worse on the two projects I have been involved that
used VAJ the repository got corruped. I find grepping through source code convenient
on large, multi-developer projects. I like to have my files, :-).

Why emacs+JDE?? Well, I have it installed on my Linux, Win98, Win2k machines at home
and I can use it at work. The environment is consistent (more or less given the
oddities of windows) not matter where I'm at. If I goto another company, especially if
they have UNIX they are likely to have emacs, and there is always the chance if they
have windows I can talk them into letting me load ntemacs therefore again having that
familiar interface. I can use any JVM, although some do not support debugging that
well like jikes. Sometimes IDEs just get in the way plus some them insert lots of
their custom code leaving me to wonder about distribution issues, or worse, they
create lots of bad code quickly that I must re-engineer. So, I might as well as just
coded it myself.

Emacs is not the be all end all of editors and its command structure takes a little
getting used too but once you do it provides lots of functionality for a great price
(FREE!).

John Syre
C++/C, Java, Perl
(and sometimes DBA)