> -----Original Message-----
> From: Paul Kinnucan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 1:02 AM

[snip!]

Yes, include ECB.  I have used it continuously since I first
tried it.

> I've also started working on a Java-based netinstaller for
> the JDE that would download and uncompress the JDE and all
> its required packages and set up your .emacs file. I might
> even include installing Emacs itself (on Windows) and cygwin
> as netinstaller options.

This sounds fantastic, especially if it removes the following type
of dialog from this list:

   User: JDE doesn't work.  Here are the libs I'm using ...
   Paul: You have the wrong libraries.  RTFM.  That's what TFM
         is for and why I take the time to write good docs.

It's not just a burden on people who don't read the notes, it's a
burden on Paul (psychic'ly more than time-wise?).

I think the ability to automatically installer/upgrade is one of the
technical advantages to free software, and it should be leveraged
to a greater extent.  A Java library that can keep track of
dependencies and download upgrades sounds like a very useful
contribution, especially if it is extensible to other applications.

Plus, it sounds like fun ...

BTW, there's a decent discussion of shared libraries on Slashdot
this morning ...

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=01%2F06%2F15%2F0128247&cid=&pid=0&starta
t=&threshold=4&mode=thread&commentsort=0&op=Change