I'm not a lisp expert, somewhere I found a way that works for me:
(setq special-display-buffer-names
      '("*compilation*" "*grep*"))

to configure size and position of a new frame you can use something
like this:
(setq special-display-frame-alist
          (append (list '(top . 480 ) '(left . 200) '(height . 20) '(width .
100)
                        '(menu-bar-lines . 0) '(minibuffer . t))

For xemacs it's slightly different:
(let ((plist '(height 20 width 100 unsplittable t
               default-toolbar-visible-p nil menubar-visible-p nil)))
      (setq special-display-buffer-names
            `(("*compilation*" ,@plist))))

Hope this helps