> i want to get better at moving around in a java file, and i have
> seen references to the functionality that semantic provides to
> do this.  so i looked on the semantic website and didn't find
> any helpful docs on how it is integrated into jde.  i also looked
> in the jde users guide, but the section on "browsing source code"
> is all about the speed bar.

The package to use is senator(senator uses semantic).
 In the latest beta release it works out of the box.
It allows you to jump to methods
by using M-x senator-jump. It has other features as well.
You will see the features in the Senator menu.

> i would also like to learn how to use internal bookmarks - is this
> the "tags" functionality.
They are two things here:
One is emacs bookmarks. You can mark a place in a file and give it
a name. Then you can jump to it by giving the name of the bookmark.
i.e. C-x r m is the command to set a bookmark at point.
then you can do C-x r b type the name you gave to the bookmark.
If this is what you are looking for, look in the emacs manual for
more info.
C-h i -> Emacs -> Bookmarks

The other thing is using tags. You can use one of the scripts
jtags or jtags.csh to create a tag table. Then you can type M-.
to find the tag at point. It will look in the tag table for
the place where that tags was defined. As one of my colleagues
described it "it is the poor man links". It works quite well.

Javier