Well, perhaps I spoke out of turn -- I'm just a JDE user, not a JDE
developer, so I really shouldn't be speaking for the developers as to what
JDE is or is not likely to include in the future.  But, regarding the
incremental compilation issue, I thought the issue was that using the
beanshell would make compilation very fast, elimintating the need for
incremental compilation.   Here's what I dug up from the archive:

>On 06/12/2001 12:03:23 PM Paul Kinnucan wrote:
>

> This would not be difficult. I have been planning to use the Beanshell to
> compile files. This would eliminate the need to run javac, i.e., start up
> vm, every time you want to compile a file. Compilation would be virtually
> instantaneous since most of the javac compilation time is due simply to
> starting the vm.

If I'm wrong, and incremental compilation is very easy to do in JDE, then by
all means do it!  But it sounds like it might not be necessary.

However, my larger point was that the Emacs/JDE approach is to cooperate
well with external stuff.  Integrating with external EJB/servlet containers
is a good example.  Obviously, you still need an external EJB/Servlet
container on your server.  It also seems obvious, at least to me, that one
would want to test / develop with the same EJB/Servlet container.  We've had
problems at work because people are developing with the servlet container
that comes bundled with JBuilder (Tomcat), while we are using WebLogic 5.1
in production.  (Now, I'd be happy if we just switched to Tomcat, but that's
a different issue.)  I don't need my IDE to double as a servlet container!

Also, I don't want to limit the discussion to strictly Java development.  I
develop mostly in Java at work, while still spending some time maintaing the
legacy C++ system, and doing some Perl stuff.  At home, I mess with Python
and Elisp, in addition to Java.  It's great to have one IDE that does all of
that!  I don't have to waste a lot of time learning a different IDE for each
language.

Not that VAJ is bad -- if you like it, use it.  But, I am much more
productive in JDE.

Steve Molitor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Regarding