What OS?  Emacs or XEmacs?  Which JDEE version (although that might not
be entirely relevant if I understand the problem correctly).

I'll take wild guess and say you are using Emacs 20.7.1 with JDEE 2.2.8
on NT or Win2k.

It sounds like you are running into a limit in NT/Win2k.  It shouldn't
after all try to create a menu that's wider than the screen.

If so, I suppose you have three options (really two):
1. Increase your screen resolution.  I use 1280x1024 and
   rarely have the problem you're seeing.  And we use extremely
   long method names and class names, etc.
2. Pick a desktop scheme that uses a smaller font or manually go
   change the Menu font in Control Panel -> Display -> Appearance
   under "Item" to be a smaller font (although much smaller than
   8 pt Tahoma is nigh unreadable).
3. Write shorter method names ;->  I know that's not practical.

If I'm way off base, please provide us with more information regarding
OS, Emacs type/version, JDEE version, screen resolution you are
using, which window manager if you're on X, etc.

Troy