The 1.4 vm seems to run 1.3 classes fine, and even in this case I only
compiled this one file and patched the jar.  If I had built with 1.4(javac)
and tried to run with 1.3(vm) then it would make more sense to me.  I'm
still a bit puzzled, maybe it's a bug in the 1.4 vm that will be resolved in
the final version.

Thanks for all the help,  and now that it's working ... It kicks butt !!!!!

Bye.