>  > I just wanted to throw the idea out since I believe that having a
>Java-based
>  > open API would allow JDE to
>  > evolve much faster, since more tools would be automatically available
>for
>  > integration *and* a lot more designers
>  > would be able to contribute (nothing against learning Lisp, please
>don't
>  > take me wrong).
I agree. That would open a whole new dimension of development. I guess
that's why a Java-based Emacs project has been initiated.

>I think what you are suggesting is impractical. I don't see how you
>can provide a robust and efficient extension framework that runs in a
>separate process from Emacs itself. Interprocess communications
>and synchronization pose very great, perhaps insurmountable
>difficulties for such a framework.
I agree with this also. Theoretically you could have a java2lisp compiler
and have developers translate their Java code to lisp. But a java2elisp
compiler... probably too far-fetched.

Daniel