Guy,

Your bash setup for emacs looks way too complicated. This is what I have
in my .emacs (copied it from somewhere), and also this seems to me a bit
too long:

;; Setup Emacs to run bash as its primary shell.
(setq explicit-shell-file-name "c:/apps/cygwin/bin/bash")
(setq shell-file-name explicit-shell-file-name)
(setq shell-command-switch "-c")
(setq explicit-sh-args '("--login" "-i"))
(setenv "SHELL" shell-file-name)
(if (boundp 'w32-quote-process-args)
  (setq w32-quote-process-args ?\")) ;; Include only for MS Windows.

Anyhow, I still have the problem I reported 27th Jan 2002, and nobody
has reacted to it.

This is what I wrote back then:

For a reason and another, all software on my (NT) laptop was
reinstalled, and now I am missing a JDE function which used to work fine
earlier. Upgrading to jde-2.2.9beta8 happened almost at the same time,
so I cannot be sure which is more relevant, but I have the feeling that
also when I first installed jde-2.2.9beta7, the function was missing at
first. It mysteriously appeared later, but I have no clue of what caused
that.

The function is JDE -> Find -> Expression. The menu item is now
inactive, and if I press C-c C-v C-f, I get this into *Backtrace*
buffer:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "This command requires the Unix
grep utility.")
  signal(error ("This command requires the Unix grep utility."))
  error("This command requires the Unix grep utility.")
  jde-find()
* call-interactively(jde-find)

I have checked all possible and impossible options, but haven't been
able to figure out how to tell JDE that I have grep place. Plain emacs
finds grep all right; I can use the "Search Files (Grep)" tool in Tools
menu, and if I launch a shell, I get to bash nicely. It is just JDE that
doesn't find grep.

Heini