Is there anyway to augment the prj.el with hand written lisp?

I have tried writing lisp directly into the prj.el file, but this
doesn't work well for two reasons. Firstly JDE keeps on kill the
buffer after project switching. Secondly for reasons I have not quite
worked out yet, it seems to remove all empty lines which makes the
hand written code unreadable.

The problem I have is this. I would like to set up
jde-db-source-directories so that it works automatically for
people. I currently have it set up to "../src" which is appropriate
for the project. However this does not include the java.* source which
is a, er, source of irritation to me. As developers are using a
variety of platforms, I need to use different paths, to get to
networked versions of the JDK source accessible. I have similar
problems with setting up docsets.

I realise that hand crafted source will involve setting JDE variables
using setq, rather than custom. I promise that I will under no
circumstances say "why is JDE crashing" when this is because I have
set up a JDE variable in the wrong way. I would rather use custom but
I don't think I can.

Cheers

Phil