On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> It's ok for me or better after reading all postings to this topic i
> would say: This is necessary because otherwise this really helpful
> list is quite unuseable

For my fellow Emacs brethren who are still using something outside of
Emacs for your mail/news,

When you get the time (and you aren't implementing and trying out the
latest from this rocking JDEE), invest in learning Gnus.  The spam on
this list really isn't heavy at all, and Gnus makes it a synch to deal
with.  (Even so, I'm all for limiting spam, so count me a yes)

As a point of reference, think about how productive Emacs makes you with
the tasks you choose to use it for (ie java coding).  Now, consider your
newsgroups/mailing list tasks and realize the Emacs crew has put lots of
energy in doing the same for this as well.  The next time you reach for
your mouse to move to a next message, read and scroll a message, reply
to a message, move a message, delete a message, read a message, mark a
message, save a message, ... move to another group, catchup ... contact
your server, contact another server, subscribe to a group ... All of
this is keystroke driven and becomes completely intuitive when done in
Emacs.

I know Paul and other use VM, and I would guess the same for that as
well.  As the author of Gnus has written

,----
|    Some users never get comfortable using the Gnus (ahem) paradigm and
| wish that Gnus should grow up and be a male, er, mail reader.  It is
| possible to whip Gnus into a more mailreaderly being, but, as said
| before, it's not easy.  People who prefer proper mail readers should
| try VM instead, which is an excellent, and proper, mail reader.
`----

So, choose whatever package you want, but try and make sure you get to
reading your mail and news within Emacs.  You'll wonder how you ever
lived without it, just like you felt the first time the JDEE did
something that made you say, COOL!

--
Galen deForest Boyer