Paul and Ole,

thanks for your help:
to clarify the question: in my .emacs the ^Z is ONE character. If I move the
cursor in my favourite editor over the ^Z the cursor jumps over both (caret
and Z). So in the .emacs file a EOF character is stored (as far as I
understand this).
I changed my .emacs the way Ole suggested  and everything works fine.
Paul: The [?^C ?^V ?^Z] sequence came from calling customize-variable
jde-key-bindings, changing something (not the thing with ^Z) and "Save for
Future Sessions". All keybindings were written to .emacs and not only my
changes.

juergen