> (if (not (fboundp 'line-beginning-position))
>     (defsubst jde-line-beginning-position (&optional N)
>       (save-excursion (beginning-of-line N) (point)))
>   (defalias 'jde-line-beginning-position 'line-beginning-position))
>
> (if (not (fboundp 'line-end-position))
>     (defsubst jde-line-end-position (&optional N)
>       (save-excursion (end-of-line N) (point)))
>   (defalias 'jde-line-end-position 'line-end-position))
>
> Execute them by marking them as a region (using ctrl-space at the
> beginning and then moving to the end of the region) and then doing M-x
> eval-region.  Does it still happen after you do that?

Yes, still happens. No change at all.

> These lines are from jde-db.el, and should insure that
> line-beginning-position is defined no matter what your system is.
> Perhaps you do not have these lines, or for some reason they are not
> executing.

I looked in jde-db.el, the lines are there.

> To be safe, you really should have a .emacs file.  See the JDE manual

But according to the XEmacs documentation, XEmacs does not use an .emacs
file
anymore (as I understood it) but the init.el file. Well I put copied the
init.el
in the Home directory to .emacs just to be sure, but that didn't change
anything
either.

Perhaps it is a problem with XEmacs? Should I try to rather work with Emacs?
I will
happily try that if you think that helps. I really like the features of JDE
but I
have to admit that the problems installing it are driving me kind of mad. It
took me
an hour already to find out, that the JDE documentation on the web site is
obsolete and
that it is only in my local user guide that I am told to and how to set the
jde-jdk-registry
(the jdk is in my path, but it just didn't work).
Well I hope I get the rest of the problems sorted out, too.

Thanks again for any help I get!

Ralf