JDK:  1.4.2
On Linux
Xemacs: 21.1.14
With:   jde-2.3.2, elib-1.0,  speedbar-0.14beta4, cd eieio-0.17,
semantic-1.4.4    (I installed all this packages in my home directory)

1) I  can not set jde to be my debugger.  The variable "jde-db-debugger"
does not come up as a settable variable.
Is there another way to set this ?

2) I do not get the menu for JDEbug in the tool bar (that maybe as a
consequence of 1 above)

3) I can start jdb  from the JDE menu entry,  but I always get the error
message in the mini-buffer "Cannot find  ."program_name" source Enter path:
, where "program_name" is the code I want to debug.  I set this value, but
it does not seem to take, as soon as I type next or step command, it gives
me the same error message.

I have a feeling that I should be setting perhaps some environment variable
or an emacs variable to get this to work, but I am not sure which one.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

My .xemacs file loads the xemacs-java.el included here.

 <<.xemacs>>  <<xemacs-java.el>>

Chris.