Andrew Hyatt writes:
[snip]

 > Using a third party Java-based backend might be easiest, but I'm afraid
 > that such a loose integration wouldn't give us many of the cool
 > features we would want.  My personal view, that is not shared by many I
 > fear, is that we should do as much as humanly possible in elisp.   The
 > more we do in elisp, the faster and better integrated it will be.

I share Andy's bias toward elisp. Regarding semantic, my long-range
plan, as stated before, is to provide a parse data API that seamlessly
(from the point of view of elisp clients) integrates the classpath
(based on Java reflection and perhaps Andy's classfile parser) with the
source parse database generated by semantic. The idea is the the
API would look first in the semantic database for the requested
parse info, then possible in Andy's xref database, and then in
the classpath. This would allow completion on fields and methods
for which only source code exists or for which only class files
exist.

My hope is that the Java parser generated by David Ponce's new
yacc-style parser generator will be fast enough and complete
enough to allow on-the-fly expression syntax error highlighting and
other advanced features.

Paul