Robert Mecklenburg wrote:

I've used jde for four years and love it, thanks for this great software!

Currently, I have 24 separate java packages installed on my machine
(and I'm just getting started).  Each one has its own javadoc api
directory.  When I see a class I'm not familiar with I want to see
its javadoc, but I often don't know which of the 24 javadoc packages
is appropriate to search.

JDE has this great javadoc lookup facility in jde-help-symbol and the
docsets variable, but to use it for this kind of browsing I need to:

1. find a .java file with a properly configured prj.el
2. add a declaration for the class I'm looking up
3. add the import for the class
4. invoke jde-help-symbol

It would be very cool if I could use jde-help-symbol (or a new
function) to without performing steps 2 and 3 (I appreciate that a
properly set docsets is required).

I have enough skill to write a lisp method to prompt for the class
name, create a new .java file, fill it a declaration, invoke import,
invoke jde-help-symbol, then delete the whole thing.  Clearly, a
horrible hack.

How can I implement what I want?

Thanks,

Have you looked at jde-help-class? It accepts a unqualified class name from the minibuffer, looks it up
and brings up the javadocs. As for help with figuring out which project the class belongs to, maybe you
could create a 25th project with classpath entries and docsets from all the other projects.

Suraj