Sorry to reply to myself, but I fixed my problem: upgraded to jde2.3.4beta4 and syntax highlighting works great now.

James Goldwater wrote:

I'm pretty much a newbie with both emacs and JDE, so sorry if this is something stupid. I have set up emacs 20.7.2 (debian woody version) with JDE 2.3.3 (downloaded, not debian). I have got nearly everything working, e.g jde-compile, jde-ant-build etc, code completion etc. But only strings and comments are recognized in font-lock-mode: apis, imports, operators etc all come though in the standard font, not highlighted like the Customize Faces variables say they should be.

When installing jde, I tried to make install, but it gave me texinfo errors, so in the end i just symlinked the jde-2.3.3 java and lisp directories into my ~/emacs/site/jde directory. (I'm not sure if that would be a problem)

I've also installed overlay-fix.el, more in hope than expectation: I'm running the latest version of semantic.

In the Messages window, I get this: (full startup messages are at the end of the email).
jde-java-font-lock: building name cache...
jde-java-font-lock: building name cache...empty

and then when fontifying a buffer, I get.
Fontifying MyClass.java...
Fontifying MyClass.java... (syntactically....)

Thanks for any pointers you could provide me!

James.