The distinctions between some of the APIs, and the various modes is
very thin.

My goal with semantic is to provide a set of APIs to get and
manipulate tags.

The various modes, such as boundary mode, or sticky func, are usually
very thin wrappers around the built-in APIs that add things such as a
face and the mode functions, and the hook-glue to make them work.  For
example, the meat of the tag-boundary mode is 28 lines, half of which
is effectivly white-space.

Anyway, I'll continue to tune the initial set up based on what input I
get.

I addressed the folding feature you mention below in a different email
to the jde mailing list.

Eric