Thomas Muldowney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This seems as if it could be implemented with a iq:oob style namespace.

Maybe, but since a typical buddy icon will be a 32x32 pixel image, which
will be ~2k bytes in size as a GIF/JPEG/PNG, I don't really think it's worth
the overhead of opening up a separate oob connection for it.

(Also, I'm not convinced based on what I've read that oob is ready for prime
time. Direct client-client communication won't work through firewalls or
NAT, which means I personally can't use it either at work or at home. It
also implies giving out your IP address, which some people are loath to do
for security reasons. I'm also unclear on how you manage access control: how
do you know that the person making an HTTP connection to you is the person
you sent the IM to?)

Eliot Landrum wrote:

> vCard supports this type of stuff.. would that be an appropriate place
> to put it?

You're right, I hadn't thought of that. I think the vCard element is called
PHOTO. So a standard <iq> request with a <vcard> element would work to get
this.

The drawback is that this kind of assumes the picture is fixed forever;
otherwise some kind of polling (even if only once per login) is necessary,
since there's no notification if it ever changes. Why might it change? To
daydream, let's say I want my client to allow my icon to change when my
status does: my "do not disturb" icon might be a picture of me with an open
copy of "BSD For Dummies" held in front of my face. :) Or the picture for
the canonical online coffee maker might be an icon of a coffee pot with the
current degree of fullness.

One possibility to enable this is to send the icon [or just an indication
that it's changed] as part of a state change, i.e. some new sub-element of
<presence>. This allows the icon to change dynamically for any reason,
without requiring watchers to poll. The sub-element could be
<photo>...</photo> with ~2k of raw CDATA in between, or a simple
<photo-changed/> with no content.

The drawback of this is that I'm guessing it requires server modifications
to store the image, unless the server just slurps up the entire <presence>
element and will relay any kind of sub-elements to watchers without
interpreting them?

--Jens