Actually, I like the thought of rate-limiting. If they can only send two subscription
requests per minute, they would be discouraged from trying to bulk-subscribe. Also, if
they could only resolve two search matches per minute, they would be discouraged from
walking the list and bulk-messaging. Have the ability to implement rules like 'ten
unique invalid user requests in a minute bans s2s communication with that server for
ten minutes', and it just won't be
practical.

I believe the spam response rate is well under 1%, if they were only able to spam a
hundred users a day or some such number, it would be unlikely they would consider this
to a viable advertising method.

-David Waite