Sorry, I may have rushed to judgement, but I still think that totally
reinventing the wheel is always the wrong the thing to do. I didn't
mean to insinuate what you did was silly or stupid, but that there is
a right way and a wrong way to do LDAP authentication.

Mark
On 24 Apr 01, at 11:03, zad wrote:

>  I want to quickly answer this mail.
>
> > FYI Windows 2000 doens't provide for LDAP authentication via
> > LDAP. It uses kerberos.
> >

> I installed Microsoft Site Server 3.0 on a windows 2000 box which
> comes with a Membership Directory. The Membership Directory contents
> are accessed using the LDAP Service.
Ok.

> > I haven't looked at your code, but if you did something silly like
> > retrieve the password from the LDAP server and then compare it in
> > the xdb module, that was very bad thing to do. The password should
> > always remain in the LDAP server.
> >

> How can you judge anything, before even looking at it !

> > If you're interested in doing LDAP based stuff in jabber, take the
> > code I wrote for Jabber 1.0 and run with it at
> > http://xdbldap.tigris.org.
>
> I was not aware of what you had done, and probably I am not the only
> one. Plus it is good for version 1.0 isn't it ?
>
> > As you'll find out, we already answered most of the questions
> > involved in adding LDAP support to jabber (authentication and
> > vcard). It just needs to be ported to 1.4.
>
> I understand that you have already answered most of your questions,
> but the thing is that I couldn't find the answers to mine.
>
> > Plus there's already a rather good one for 1.4 that I saw last week
> > that does authentication, including 0knowledge auth and vcard. I
> > would recommend using that module or extending that module rather
> > than writing your own.
> >

> That doesn't address my specific needs. I have to use a different
> approach.
>
> > While it's always more fun to invent the wheel, it's much more
> > useful to the world (and generally more profitable) to hone the
> > wheel.
>
> I didn't do it for fun, unfortunately, I don't have time for that. I
> needed a component to use the jabber server in my specific situation.
> Since I couldn't find it in the available stuff, I built it. Then I
> put it up in the contrib area, in case anyone else needed it. I think
> this is what anyone else, including you would have done. Although we
> wish it was so, nothing in life, is as simple as it looks.
>
> > Mark
> >

> zad

Mark Wilcox
[EMAIL PROTECTED]