There should be a namespace for the element within the iq, e.g.
<iq type='result'><service xmlns='jabber:iq:browse' .....</iq>  - is something
returning a result without this? The children of the element are in the same
namespace, so it does not need to be specified again.

An element with a xml namespace is in that namespace, not the namespace of the parent
tag. there is no <query> element as a child of iq, and no <x> element as a child of
message or presence.

-David Waite