Hi Guys,

David and Jens are correct (I should have posted the resolution). A day or two ago, I discovered that I had a couple of bytes containing 0xB7 in the CDATA. The weird part was that the XML checkers I used (on Windows) didn't complain (go figure, right? :-) which led me in the completely wrong direction. Thanks for your help.

peter
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2001 8:10 PM
Subject: Re: [JDEV] Karma and transferring large XML message packets...

On Wednesday, April 25, 2001, at 04:18 PM, David Waite wrote:

bytes >127 are actually supposed to be UTF8-encoded

That's actually almost certainly why the server was barfing on the data -- bad UTF-8, not bad XML. For example, IIRC, a byte >127 indicates the first byte of a multibyte character, and the subsequent byte(s) of the same character are supposed to also have the high bit set. So any three byte sequence of the form [<128] [>=128] [<128] would be illegal UTF-8 and cause the parser to barf.

So David's recommendation to go with base64 should fix the problem.

--Jens