Hi Tony,

I think the following will lead to resolution of your case.
There is 2 rounds of I/O between client and server during authentication.
During the first round the client learns what the server is expecting.
During the second round client sends the actual values and the server
performs the actual authentication. During the first round the value of
password in NULL, which is logical and it is probably your case. As for the
solution:

You should check the value during JPACKET__SET subtype and not the
JPACKET__GET which is the first round. Use this if statement to check the
round of negotiation (which is the packet subtype).

if (jpacket_subtype(m->packet) == JPACKET__SET)

hope this helps

zad