> Is there a standard way to represent a JID as a URL (analogous to a
> mailto: URL)? The most basic form would be something like
> "jabber:user@host/resource" and the default action when clicked would
be
> to send an IM to that user.

URL identify RESOURCES - people, places, documents, stuff.

mailto: identifies an e-mail address. What you do with the resource
(add-it to addressbook, send mail to it) is up to the client's user
interface.

Imagine a web-browser where the default click action was
"add-to-hotlist" instead of "open" -- wouldn't be very useful, but it
would be valid.

jabber:user@host/resource is a valid URI. It identifies a Jabber user in
a particular context (the /resource bit).

> It occurs to me that a second form would be useful for conferences /
> chat-rooms, since the behavior of clicking the URL would be different
> (joining the room.) AIM, I believe, uses a "?" attribute on the "aim:"

> URL to distinguish between these things.

A chat room is a separate resource, so you'd either say
   jabber:conference-name@host
(this would be analogous to a mailing list in a mailto: URI)
or
   jabberconf:name@host
(create a special protocol to indicate conferences).

I prefer the first alternative, since it simplifies the namespace -- but
since conferences in Jabber aren't analogous to mailing lists, it might
be better to have a separate protocol for them.
i.e. you can have user FOO@host and conference FOO@host with no way of
distinguishing them.

Trying to hack in different protocol extensions through the query-part
of the URI is not a good idea.

The context menu for a jabber: URI should permit sending a message,
adding the target to the address-book.
For a jabberconf: URI it would be send a message, join the conference,
add conference to address book.

--
christian