> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
>> Perhaps as a first step we can find some agreement about terminology
>> ("roster" vs. "contact list" vs. "buddy list", "transport" vs. "gateway",
>> etc.)
>>
>> Peter

i really like this idea, yes. i've been bugged by everyone referring to
rosters as 'buddy lists'. damn aol, damn their popularity!  :-) we need
to make this terminology 'rock solid' and emphasize it's use. i strongly
suggest we do this as the re-vamping Glossary that was recently
announced and i contributed to (sorry, can't recall names).

anothet thing i think we should do on the UI issue:

i'm getting ready to release a thread about what i'm calling 'Jabber
Environments'. JE's will be to 'collect' and 'standardize' certain
things about jabber. you'll say we already have this with the standards-jig.

i want to propose a new concept to the jabber community: in jabber,
there should not be only one way to do everything. now most things
should have only one way, but a few there should be a handful. the point
of standards-jig and the foundation will be to develop and create all of
these options, but the point of JE's will be to 'package' them.

as jabber expands and grows outside of it's IM origins, it will start to
get alot more confusing to developers and end users. "what is jabber,
where does it end?" they will ask. we need to have answers. JE's will be
sub-sets of jabber, designed to clearly define a certain aspect. one JE
could cover just the IM aspect, whereas another could cover RPC and
remote computing aspects. still others could cover e-commerce
transactions (IMissary?) and human conversations (Crown?). the point of
JE's isn't to *create* these many features they cover, but to *package*
them into easy to understand terms... that way people can talk about
'Crown' and know exactly what it covers, instead of having to say
"Jabber without RPC and  e-commerce transaction stuff".

example: i'm working on making my Crown project into a JE.

Crown: A set of standards and specifications defining human conversation
services over the Jabber platform.

it will cover not only IM, but also email-like functionality, mailing
lists, appointment scheduling, collaboration, telephone-like
functionality, voicemail, etc...

these JE's could also define common features that clients and servers
should have. this creates the ease-of-use, but keeps the overall
flexability of Jabber.

thoughts?