Are you able to tell if you have successfully connected to the MSN server
through Jabber? What should happen in JIM is after you have registered
with the transport, it should show up on your roster, and if your
authentication credentials are correct, the lightbulb next to the
transport in your roster should be "on".

If you're seeing this, then log into the other MSN account and see if you
can get presence information from the MSN account you're using with
Jabber. (You should see the other account as "online".)

If this works correctly, messaging should be working fine.

However, there are several reasons this could fail. For example, if you
have a firewall between your Jabber server and the MSN server, it is
possible that it might be blocking the necessary socket connection that it
would need to authenticate.

If you provided more information on the environment you've set your Jabber
server up on, it might be easier to track down the problem you're
experiencing.

Cheers,

Ben