You might want to look at Jabber:iq:admin
It provides the functionality for setting a welcome message; sending a
messages to all users currently on the system; and viewing who is
currently on the system.

Unfortunately I can't find all the documentation on it right now: the
viewing who is currently on the system can be found here :
http://docs.jabber.org/general/html/faq.html  just search for
jabber:iq:admin

I'll try to find more documentation on the other pieces when I can. If
you're pressed for time take a look at the IMCom jabber client; it
implements the jabber:iq:admin functionality and its open source.

-Casey