Dave wrote:
> Reply inline:
>
>  - Dave
>

> Mattias Campe wrote:
>
>>Dave wrote:

[...]
>>>Also, I think we should all list our JIDs as early as possible in our
>>>contact info lists.  Having our email addresses and Jabber IDs be the
>>>same is also good, because it gives us a measurable advantage over all
>>>other major IM systems with the exception of MSN (although why anybody
>>>would want to use Hotmail over Yahoo! Mail at this point is beyond me)
>>>in terms of consistency.
>>
>>[...]
>>
>>I personally don't think that a lot of people need another e-mail
>>addres. Maybe it's better to write libraries that client developers can
>>use to check their existing e-mail adress(es) for new e-mail. Of course
>>you could make it a server thing and having the info through headlines.
>>Then every client automatically would support this notification (of
>>course if the server supports it)
>
> Nonono ... I'm not talking about getting another email address; I'm talking about
>using your domain (which you're probably already using for email) for Jabber too, so
>you can have your JID be the same as your already-existing email addy :-)

Sorry, I misunderstood. Than I also like the idea ;-)

>>>Lastly, of course (how many people have already shouted this?),
>>>getting ISPs to setup a tiny Linux box running a Jabber server for
>>>their subscribers would be great, and getting users to ask their ISPs
>>>to provide Jabber servers may be even better.
>>
>>Imagine how it would be if the Jabber Community could be convinced of
>>the use of Jabber! Well, reality is different, real life example: my ISP
>>provided a CD-Rom with some software on it, like IE and Netscape. Guess
>>what sort of IM systems were on it? Jup, ICQ and MSN, not a byte, not
>>even a bit was devoted to Jabber :( ...
>
> Have you tried complaining to your ISP that they don't "support"
> Jabber, or some other type of rediculous accusation just to get their
> awareness up?

To be honest: no. The problem is that my ISP has some financial problems
   so I think they won't change. Of course if I do not try it, they
probably never change...

>>Of course if ISPs would have a Jabber server, then I hope that they make
>>it clear enough to the people that they actually can choose any server
>>they want. Otherwise people will think that Jabber just is another
>>proprietary IM system.
>
> If an ISP is willing to use Jabber, I'll say "Thank you very much" and
> avoid picking any further.  Users will figure out whatever they want
> whenever they want, but  the reality is that most users don't seem to
> mind being "locked in" even when we're talking about _real_ proprietary
> protocols (e.g. AIM, ICQ, YIM, MSNM, etc.).  You certainly won't see me
> complaining about people unknowningly using an open IM system ;-)

But if they would understand what Jabber is all about, it would be even
greater :D .