Reply inline:

 - Dave

Richard Dobson wrote:

> [...]
Nope, I wasn't referring to .wbmp files; I was simply going through
the most annoying proprietary image formats I could think of off-hand.
Seeing .wbmp in your message probably reminded me of .bmp, though ... and
.gif, well, I've been on a crusade against them for a while already ;-)

> any means it is part of the wap standards, I said all of this because your
I happen to hate the WAP standards, but that's neither here nor there;
they _are_ pretty much standardized, and there's not much I can do about
it at this point: just being sour about it is silly.  However, I would
insist that any device that supports images be able to read PNG format
files, because standards are good, and should therefore be supported.

> method assumes that the receiving client (in this case a WAP phone)
> definately supports the image format you are sending it, and if you are
> sending .png, .gif, or .jpg a WAP phone would be unable to support it, this
> is YAP (yet another problem) with your system.
Obviously, there's a cruel little HTTP-based solution you can use
if you're fundamentally opposed to standard image formats, involving
client capability negotiation (totally compatible with HTTP/1.0 and 1.1).
Briefly, here's how it works: when your client sends a request to an HTTP
server, it normally sends an HTTP-Accept header, listing all the MIME
types that your client understands.  There's nothing stopping the server
from sending a version of the image that's in - or even converting an
image on-the-fly from whatever format it's stored in into - some format
that the client supports.
Most popular web servers support client capability negotiation.
(A variation on the same is often used to decide what language to send
a document in, BTW.)