Hi dave,
I've read almost all your posts on this subject, and though you make an intresting
point that XML is a much more flexible system for embedding all kinds of information
in your messages I still think your approach to the subject is way to heavy..
Though you came with a variaty of different solutions they still epend on one or more
of these things:

HTTP downloading: not done for small footprint jabber clients, such as mobile
clients..
privacy/hosting concerns. (though I see you stepped of this idea)

Transport translating/transforming of messages: if I'd be maintining one of the
transports, the last thing I would care about is translating of emoticans, the
transports job is to route the message, not interpretate it. Even if you do make it to
some kind of standard I think transport maintainers will agree with me on this one.
That "silly regexp-matching kludge" does not belong in a transport ;) (So no I do not
think it's a transports job to make other networks "look the same to the client as
native Jabber users". Their job is to route messages and precense into the jabber
network.

Requiring the parsing of XHTML to support emoticons: manny simple clients do not
look at the XHTML namespace at all, yet maybe they still want to make use of
emoticons. IMHO emoticons aren't such seperate items.. they're just part of writing..
and my client can make them look a bit more pretty if it likes (or I like it to). I
can make
my mobile client support a few simple emoticons by just parsing what's inbetween
commenly used for emoticons in jabber I'd follow it. Stripping off all other XHTML to
find a few emoticons is a step to far for me though.

Wich brings us back to the root of the problem.. currently there are several client
who
make use of this (parsing body text), but they're not all doing it the same. Wich is
why
there should be a *guideline* (like it says in the topic) on wich emoticons are
available and useable in all clients that would follow these guidelines. Wether or not
suppoert property IM systems like MSN is left up to the developer himself, and the
transport maintainers can focus on more urgent matter :) (If you say that you can't
know wich transport is actually MSN etc. Well, my client has to figure that out
somehow anyway (I just look for wich one is called "msn" right now), since I want to
use the MSN nickname the transport supplies in the <state/> tag of precense
information..)

Switching current clients over to the new guidelines will be easy.. and maybe we'll
have a chance that soon in the future because of these guidelines different clients
remain/become interoperatable with each other. :) And I'd love having a simple X
element telling that the current message should not be parsed for emoticons..