Patrick-

If you're working on an external component, I would suggest looking at the
JECL package put together by Jabber, Inc. Its available under the JOSL at
http://jecl.jabberstudio.org/.

It makes writing external components quick and easy, even for somebody
with my limited programming abilities.

Cheers,

bs.