OK, as one of the authors of the JEP in question, I do have the
responsibility so say this at least one more time, I suppose.  I may not
have done it on the jdev list, but I thought I'd gotten the gist across in
foundation meetings.

I realize that there are security holes in JEP-0025.  I'm not convinced that
any of the solutions that have been proposed are the "right" solution.  I
think we need to have a discussion about it.  I think the way to do that is
to have a new, standards-track JEP.  Yes, it would be nice if I could get
around to doing that, but I've been fairly swamped.  If someone else could
take a crack at a strawman, it would be helpful.

Next, there *is no way* for me to modify our current product in the
timeframes involved, due to our existing release cycle.  Once we have a
standards-track JEP approved, we'll see if we can support it in a future
version.  Because of this, it makes no sense to modify JEP-0025 to add any
security measures.

So, the foundation needs to choose one of these:

1) I can withdraw the JEP, in which case there will be no public
documentation of the polling protocol.  That doesn't seem neighborly to me,
but I'm willing to bow to overwhelming pressure.  Remember, it's
INFORMATIONAL, which means that it documents an existing protocol.

2) Leave it as is.  The council can decide whether or not to approve it.
For informational JEPs, I think the criterion should be "does this JEP
accurately portray the existing protocol."  If the council decides that the
criteria should include "... and we like it," then the council should reject
it.  If that happens, I don't know if it should stay on the JEP list or not.
That's a process question.

3) Same as 2, but add some big bold letters that say "THIS PROTOCOL IS
INSECURE.  ITS USE IS DISCOURAGED."  Frankly, I'm fine with that.

I'd like to see more people document protocols that they are using as
informational, to at least seed the discussion of what ought to be a
standard.  I'm concerned about the potential precedent of discouraging that
behavior.

<rant direction="aside">
As I've said to a couple of people, I think that HTTP polling is a security
nightmare, no matter how it's implemented.  I've basically enabled people to
thwart their firewall administrators.  Yes, it's useful for those situations
where the firewall is administrated by people that don't believe that the
Internet can be used for legitimate business purposes, so we have to have it
in our product mix.  But its use should be discouraged where possible.
</rant>

<note relevance="low">
I believe that if you do your polling over HTTPS, none of the stated attacks
are possible, as far as I know.  There are still some cool traffic analysis
attacks, but no more so that with any Jabber session.  If you have enough
hardware to do HTTPS polling for a large number of users, well... wow.
That's impressive, I'm sure.
</note>