I was at that meeting.  Maybe I should comment.  :)

It is too early to tell if FIMA will be mandating protocols, as far as
I can tell.  The thing that seemed most important to the group was
interoperability.  The Jabber community (including Jabber, Inc.)
doesn't see interoperability as something to be used as a weapon
against competitors, and our history with S2S and transports proves
that.  Couple that with our recent successes at the IETF, and I think
Jabber's position within FIMA is still very solid.

I also wouldn't be suprised if one or more of the FIMA members were
doing more with Jabber at the moment than they are letting on publicly...

--
Joe Hildebrand
Chief Architect