Hi,
The jabber programmers guide at docs.jabber.org might be the document you are looking for. It's also worthwhile to study the xml that is sent back and forth between the client and the server to get a good understanding of what's happening.
Having said all that i think you are on the right track regards the presence packets. however i don't think most client will like it if you push iq set packets to them. You might be better off sending presence subsribe packets to both clients (yours and your buddy's).
hope this helps.

Mike Prince writes:
I'm writing a component that will auto-populate a roster and
auto-subscribe the contacts.
My current tact is to use <xdb> to update the clients roster in the
database, then push the roster change to the client via an <iq
type="set"><query...
I'd then like force the subscriptions (as much as possible) by forging
the <presence> packet to the remote contact.
Am I going in the right direction?
As it stands, I'm crashing JIM with the <iq> set above and am swimming
around and not finding any documentation about the above in regards to
components. I'm basing my guesstimates on client2server interactions.
Are there any docs around (even in pre-alpha form) that could enlighten
me? What's the "right" way to do this?
Thanks,
Mike