I did update the PAM patch from the contrib area to work with
jabber-1.4.2 and I seem to remember emailing it to Peter Saint-Andre so
he could include it at: http://download.jabber.org/contrib/.  Guess it
never made it.  I still have it available on my site though:

 http://www.snoogans.co.uk/jabber/files/jabber-1.4.2-pam.README
 http://www.snoogans.co.uk/jabber/files/jabber-1.4.2-pam.tar.gz

Although I then went on to provide a better authentication mechanism for
Jabber using the official XDB "check" Authentication method as described
at: http://jabberd.jabberstudio.org/1.4/142changelog.html

You can download the code at:
 http://www.snoogans.co.uk/jabber/index.htm#xdb_auth_cpile

It also supports IMAP, LDAP, MYSQL, PAM, POP3, RADIUS and SMB
authentication.

I did hear a rumour that xdb_auth_cpile was going to be mentioned in the
jabber docs, but not sure.

Thanks,
Chris Pile.