> Can anyone describe a successful recipe for getting the compilation to work?
> by listing which versions of kerberos/gssapi/db/sasl etc will build a working
> configuration?

My dev environment has Cyrus SASL 2.1.10, OpenSSL 0.9.6g and Berkeley DB
4.1.24. The thing that is most often wrong is SASL - alot of software
commonly packaged with Linux dists depends on SASL 1.5, which is not API
compatible with v2. It is usually possible to have both on the system at
the same time, though usually only one set of headers is possible.

Feel free to post the output from configure or make (wherever it is
failing) to the project list, and I should be able to help you more.